You are here

Professional Topics

Filter by Category
  • Complaint
  • Contracts
  • Education
  • HR/Employment
  • Loan Repayment
  • Regulations

Are dental offices required to supply licensing information, etc. to a company collecting the information for insurance company?

FAQ# 1137:

Providers only need to send that information when it is the insurance company itself requesting it.

Are general dentists in Virginia allowed to do Botox and dermal fillers?

FAQ# 1138:

No, only oral surgeons with a cosmetic license can do these procedures.

Can continuing education credit hours be carried over to the next year?

FAQ# 1147:

Yes, credit hours in excess of the 15 required may be credited to the next year for a total of not more than 15 hours.

Does VDA offer Continuing Education (CE)?

FAQ# 1185:

Yes, the VDA offers many CE opportunites.  All CE courses are listed on our events calendar.  See links below.

How do I get a copy of my dental record?

FAQ# 1142:

Requests for copies of records should be submitted to the dentist in writing, dated and signed.  The request should describe the records wanted.  The request can be mailed, faxed or hand delivered to the dentist/office.  The dentist is required to respond within 15 days to do one of the following:

1.         Provide copies of the records.

2.         Inform the requester if the information does not exist or cannot be found.

3.         Inform the requester of the provider who now maintains the records.

4.         Deny the records for specific reasons set out in Section F of the statutes.

How do I qualify as a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)?

FAQ# 1150:

The Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) is the certifying body for dental assistants. The following materials are available online to assist you in understanding the paths to certification and to assist you in preparing for certification:

·       How to earn your Dental Assistant Certification

·       DANB CDA exam reference materials

·       DANB CDA Exam Blueprint

How is a radiation certificate obtained?

FAQ# 1148:

By (1) Satisfactorily completing a course or examination recognized by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (CODA); (2) becoming certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists; or (3) satisfactorily completing a radiation course and passing an examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB).

·      For a list of CODA accredited programs in Virginia go to the American Dental Association website then contact the programs to see if they offer a course for radiation certification.

·      For a list of Radiography Programs in Virginia go to the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists website then contact the programs for more information.

·      For information about the DANB course and examination go to:

o   DANB Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) Review at

o   DANB’s 2012 Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) Exam Blueprint at

o   DANB Radiation Health Safety (RHS) component exam  application at

How long should dental records be kept?

FAQ# 1144:

The Board of Dentistry requires that a dentist maintain patient records for not less than SIX years from the most recent date of service for purposes of review by the Board.


However, the ADA advises that records should be kept for seven years.

How many continuing education credit hours can be on-line?

FAQ# 1146:

There is no restriction on the number of credit hours that may be obtained on line.

How many credit hours of continuing education are required each year?

FAQ# 1145:

A dentist or dental hygienist is required to complete a minimum of 15 credit hours of approved continuing education for each annual license renewal.

How often should autoclave spore testing be done?

FAQ# 2114:

The CDC recommends that spore testing be done at least weekly using BIs.  (Be sure that your BI has a current shelf date or you
could get inaccurate results.)   

I am considering participating with a dental benefit company (i.e. insurance company) and would like to have the contract reviewed prior to signing. How can I go about having this contract reviewed?

FAQ# 1156:

The ADA provides a Contract Analysis Service to ADA members free of charge through their state dental society.  This service offers analysis of third-party contracts and informs members in clear language about the provisions of the contracts so they can make informed decisions about the implications of participation.  If you would like to take advantage of this service, please contact Laura Givens at the VDA by calling 804-523-2185 or emailing 


*Please note that the ADA Contract Analysis Service is not intended, nor should it be regarded, as legal advice.  You are strongly urged to consult with your personal attorney before signing any contract.

I am wondering if there are any legal or ethical concerns to doing a Groupon/Living Social type of promotion – where can I go to find information on this?

FAQ# 1177:

There are some ethical concerns that should be considered in regards to these types of promotions.  Please review the current ADA Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct ( for more information. 

I have a question about an ethical dilemma in my practice and I would like to talk with someone about the situation, who should I call?

FAQ# 1178:

You can call the ADA’s Ethics Hotline (800-621-8099, ask for the ethics hotline) to discuss your concern.  For more information on this member resource, please visit:

I have questions about dentists having to opt in or out of Medicare...

FAQ# 3019:

In response to member questions, the ADA Practice Institute has put together the following Q&A to help clarify which practitioners should opt in or out of Medicare.

Dentists who treat Medicare patients must either enroll in the program or opt out in order to prescribe medication to their qualifying patients with Part D drug plans.

The requests to the ADA for more information came in response to a June 16 ADA News article alerting dentists to the program requirements.

Q: I read the June 16 article in the ADA News that I have to opt in or out of Medicare or else Medicare won't pay for the prescriptions I write for my patients who have Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. How do I go about this?

A: In order for Medicare to pay for prescriptions under Medicare Part D, a dentist must do one of the following:

  • Enroll as a Medicare provider
  • Opt-out of the Medicare program.
  • Enroll as an ordering/referring provider.

Q: If I opt out of Medicare, will my Medicare eligible patients still receive their Part D prescription drug coverage?

A: Yes, as confusing as this may be, once a dentist is in the Medicare system either by enrolling in or opting out, patients are eligible to receive their Part D prescription drug coverage.

Q: If I already enrolled as a Medicare ordering/referring provider do I need to take more action?

A: No. Since you are now in the system, your Medicare patients will be eligible for Part D prescription drug coverage.

Q: What happens if I choose not to do any of the above?



I know that the VDA no longer has a Direct Reimbursement Committee but I have a patient who would like to consider the plan for the business that they own/work for. Is there anywhere I can direct them to get more information?

FAQ# 1180:

Yes, the VDA still supports the Direct Reimbursement concept and Benefits Administration, Inc. is still available to provide pricing quotes and administrative services for the plans.  Interested parties should contact Mr. C.P. Coyner with Benefits Administration, Inc. at 804-379-2218.

Is there a program for dental school loan repayment if I decide to practice in a rural area?

FAQ# 1176:

Yes, through the Virginia Department of Health there is a loan repayment program.  Complete program details can be found here:

What are the requirements to register as a dental assistant II?

FAQ# 1149:

A complete list of requirements is available in the Instructions for Dental Assistant II Applicants which is located on our Forms and Applications page. To review the laws and regulations governing registration, refer to §54.1-2729.01 of the Code of Virginia and to Part III. Entry Requirements beginning at 18VAC60-20-60 of the Regulations Governing Dental Practice which are located on our website under Laws and Regulations.

What can the provider charge for copies of records?

FAQ# 1143:

If an individual requests a copy of his health record from a health care entity, the health care entity may impose a reasonable cost-based fee, which shall include only the cost of supplies for and labor of copying the requested information, postage when the individual requests that such information be mailed, and preparation of an explanation or summary of such information as agreed to by the individual. For the purposes of this section, "individual" includes a person with authority to act on behalf of the individual who is the subject of the health record in making decisions related to his health care.

What kind of assistance is available for a dentist who is a provider with a dental benefit plan (i.e. insurance company) and has an issue with the company (i.e. complaints with assignment of benefits, non-covered services, denial of claim, explanation of

FAQ# 1157:

The VDA offers assistance with these complaints.  Please CLICK HERE to view a Complaint Resolution Form.  You may complete this form and return to the VDA via direct mail, fax (804-288-1880) or email at  These forms are reviewed by the VDA Dental Benefits committee.  You can file a complaint with the Virginia Bureau of Insurance.  For information on the claim process, you can contact the following email address at or call their Ombudsmen and Consumer Service Hotline at 1-877-310-6560.

When is license renewal due?

FAQ# 1140:

Dental licenses are renewed with the Virginia Board of Dentistry and must be renewed by March 31st.  This can be done on the VA Board of Dentistry website or by 1st class mail.

Where can I find information on Virginia regulations pertaining to dentistry, dental hygiene and dental assisting?

FAQ# 1152:

The Virginia Board of Dentistry

o   Website:

o   Phone Number: (804) 367-4538

*We suggest that all dentists review the Virginia Board of Dentistry Regulations Governing Dental Practice and have on hand in your dental office for reference.  Visiting their website on a regular basis will keep you and your staff abreast on current regulations.  You will find answers to questions involving requirements for health records, licensure, direction and delegation of duties, anesthesia, advertising, education, oral & maxillofacial surgery, mobile dental clinics and other items.  All of these are relating to dentists, dental hygienists, dental assistant IIs and dental assistants.

Where can I find resources for OSHA training in the dental office?

FAQ# 1154:

The ADA offers an OSHA Compliance Kit, as well as other related kits that can be ordered online at or by calling  1-800-947-4746.

Where can I obtain a list of posters required by the Department of Labor?

FAQ# 1153:

The Virginia Department of Labor & Industry website lists these requirements:  You may also call them with questions at 804-371-2327.

Where do you file a complaint about the Virginia Board of Dentistry?

FAQ# 1139:

Contact Dianne L. Reynolds-Cane at the VA Board of Professionals – 804-367-4400.

Where would I find information on amalgam disposal?

FAQ# 1155:

The ADA published Best Management Practices for Amalgam Waste, which can be obtained as a pdf document online by clicking here.  The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality should be able to answer questions relating to amalgam disposal.  They can be reached at 804-698-4000.  Note that Virginia does not currently mandate amalgam separators. 

Who owns the dental record - the dentist or the patient?

FAQ# 1141:

The dentist (provider) owns the records.